Posted to uk.d-i-y
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default Connecting many low-power mains devices (wall warts etc) tosingle mains socket

On 17/03/2017 14:44, NY wrote:
I have a room that I use as a study. It has only one single mains socket
(the other is on the opposite side of the room and would require a long
trailing cable to reach the desk area).

I currently have a PC and LCD monitor, and wall-warts for various
low-power devices (router, phone, security camera, headphones etc)
plugged into a series of multi-way socket blocks (there is a 6-way with
two 4-ways plugged into it).

Obviously the overriding factor is that the total current does not
exceed 13 A, and when I measured it, it was about 3A.

But is there any safety issue with lots of plugs, via multi-way socket
blocks, all going back to a single wall socket? Is there any advantage
in having the single socket changed for a dual one and plugging half the
appliances (via socket blocks) into one socket and half into the other?
Is a single socket block with 12 sockets in any way safer than a 6-way
with two 4-ways plugged into it?

I have one of these under my desk, it will take 10 plugs or chargers.
The socket it connects to is inaccessible without moving the desk so
this also has a mains power switch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2o2ppvx2az...2010.jpeg?dl=0

Mike