Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

Default You probably don't know the answer but what allows WiFi scanning anyway?

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 18:08:33 -0800, Stijn De Jong
wrote:

what allows WiFi scanning anyway?

Wrong question. What you should be asking is what disables wi-fi
scanning. That's easy, 2 ways.
1. If your phone is setup to act as a hot spot so that others can
borrow your cellular data bandwidth, it will kill scanning. That's
because a hot spot requires that the channel number be fixed and not a
moving target.
2. If your phone is in peer to peer mode instead of infrastructure.
There are many reasons for this to happen. For example, printing
directly to an HP ePrint printer or Apple Airprint printer. I think
(not sure) that a GoPro camera connection does the same thing.

Note that the phone cannot be in infrastructure (what you want) and
peer-to-peer mode (what you don't want) at the same time.

I realize probably nobody knows the answer but just in case you do, what
service on Android does the WiFi access-point scanning anyway?

I'll take the easy way out and claim ignorance.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D