Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forming tap

wrote in message
On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 8:05:49 PM UTC-4,
wrote:

Greetings Bob,
Form taps make a stronger thread in materials that are fairly
ductile......

I use form taps
as much as possible in my shop.
Eric

I have no experience with form taps, but I have the impression that
they last longer than cutting taps in some metals. Is that right or
am I wrong?

Dan

Dunno, but I've retired several #10-32 spiral point taps after 1000
holes tapped freehand with a Milwaukee reversible drill in 12 Ga CRS.
They were the panel mounting holes in custom welded relay-style racks,
~ 60 panel mounting holes per rail so 8 bays per tap.

-jsw