Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default How much current flows through pylons?

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 15:23:28 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 14:13:01 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news NY has brought this to us :
Out here in a North Yorkshire village there seem to be 11 kV spurs, each
with a pole-mounted transformer to step down to 240V. Where I'm sitting I
can see the end of the 11 kV line and its transformer. Its 240V cables go
underground to houses on one side of the road (probably built in 1950s)
and then come above ground to 3-phase 240V overhead wires to the houses
on the other side of the road (1930s).

Are you sure it is 11Kv - more likely it will be 3.3Kv.

Ah, I wasn't aware that there was an intermediate distribution voltage
between 11kV and 240V.

Wonder if H Bloomfield did a typo and meant 33Kv which is used
frequently.

I wondered that too but don't know enough about power distribution.

When I first saw this thread title, however, I assumed it was talking
about how much leakage there was to earth from a pylon.

I thought it sounded a little ambiguous when I wrote it. Probably quite a bit, as if its raining, you can even feel it coming through the air.

--
A father is someone who carries pictures where his money used to be.