Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default confessions of a small engine hitman

On 3/19/2017 2:03 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

You do not need gas stabilizer,,,,until you do. Bigger cities that
have pollution problems tend to use fuels that seem more prone to go
bad.

My 30 year old Honda never needed special stabilized gas,,,, until it
did, starting about 6~7 years ago. Still runs like a top with a
single pull to get it started after using gas stabilizers.

Just because you have not had gas issues does not dictate what other
regions of the country experience.

Now that you mention bigger cities, I wonder if their special blends
(AKA wallet lining) of pollution control fuels introduce additives that
need stabilizer.

Puckdropper

No doubt at all. Houston has a winter and "special" summer formula.

All I know is that for years I did not have to use stabilizer additives
for 2 cycle or 4 cycle gas. And in the last 10 or so years I do have to
use the stabilizer if I buy more than a seasons worth of gas.

My dad bought a new Honda lawn mower about 12 years ago, it replaced his
other 12 year old Honda. The new one passes California emissions but is
sold in all states. He immediately had problems with the new one and
even had to have the carb replaced within the first year.
He had to start using additives in his new mower.

It seems, the newer the equipment, the more Californicated they are and
less tolerant of less then fresh fuel.