Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bosch oscillating tool review

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 9:13:06 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

It is not unusual for a manufacturer to give in to a perceived need that
the customer wants, more of a marketing thing.

Well said, and very true. Every manufacturing company whether it is refrigerators or skateboards lives on "innovation", real or perceived. "Innovation" brings the latest and greatest item to the market, and brings a reason to purchase to the consumer.

To me, that is what is going on now with the "Starlock" system with the bottle cap blades and accessories. They claim that the new system transfers XX% more power from the motor to the tool head, and that it prevents blade slippage and possible operator injury. I think it is collusion that the two best manufacturers have come up with a new configuration for tools that will a new standard whether we want it or not.

Since I have never seen (I take J. Clarke's word on his experience with his)a lugged Fein or Bosch that had blade slippage. Neither of my 8 lug HF models have any, and I certainly wouldn't hold them up to any high standard of manufacturing tolerances.

There may be some marginal improvement with the new blade configuration, but I think at best this was a solution that was looking for a problem.

Robert