Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default How much current flows through pylons?

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
NY has brought this to us :
Out here in a North Yorkshire village there seem to be 11 kV spurs, each
with a pole-mounted transformer to step down to 240V. Where I'm sitting I
can see the end of the 11 kV line and its transformer. Its 240V cables go
underground to houses on one side of the road (probably built in 1950s)
and
then come above ground to 3-phase 240V overhead wires to the houses on
the
other side of the road (1930s).

Are you sure it is 11Kv - more likely it will be 3.3Kv.

Ah, I wasn't aware that there was an intermediate distribution voltage
between 11kV and 240V. Are most power lines on pairs of wooden poles with
big glass insulators and pole-mounted transformers 3.3 rather than 11 kV?

This is the pole https://s22.postimg.org/n6x2dkkip/IMG_0456.jpg

I hadn't spotted the four horizontal wires in the foreground. I was wrong:
the 240V evidently goes underground to the back of just one terrace block
and then 3 phases and neutral runs between the three terrace blocks, with
alternating phases - same as in our older terraces on the other side of the
road from the 3.3 kV.