Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe[_4_] John Doe[_4_] is offline

Default OT My third electric bike

Oh yeah, the (lack of) work involved...

Could not be easier. Use a rotary tool to slice off the end
of a 1/2 inch drive socket. Cut to wide pieces of aluminum
flat bar and drill holes through them. Stick them to the
bicycle fork.

Then just connect a speed controller from the bicycle's
handlebars to the drill trigger. A cheap Shimano Revo shifter
works great for throttle control, after opening it up and
removing the internal latches.

The drill trigger is depressed by simply anchoring a bicycle
cable noodle to the trigger and the drill handle. When the
cable is pulled, it pulls the trigger towards the drill
handle. I will post a pic or two of that when it is stuck on
there.

Not sure whether I will put the fork plus wheel on my current
20 inch BMX bike, or whether to make an ultralight vehicle
out of another aluminum bicycle frame.