Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default confessions of a small engine hitman

On 3/18/2017 10:19 AM, Larry Kraus wrote:
On 3/17/2017 7:16 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

only have two gas powered tools and apparently i do not follow best
practices when i expect not to use them for 3 months or so

do you empty the gas out or just shut off the gas from the tank to the
carb

Four-stroke lawn mower does not care. Empty and run dry, or add
stabilizer, or just park it - does not seem to matter. Starts with one
or two pulls, runs fine.

Two-stroke blower, trimmer and chain saw are emptied and run until they
stop, with every use. Otherwise, ethanol in the gas destroys the fuel
line from the tank within a year.

"Simple" solution is to buy the pre-mixed gasoline from the 2-cycle
companies. Made with ethanol free premium (92 octane). My Echo
equipment starts first time, every time using it. Can has a shelf life
of 24 (?) months once opened.

I think the solution might be more expensive than the repair. In the
Houston area the premix is between $5~$8 per "quart".

Does that have the oil premixed too?

Cheaper, not as simple, mix up your 2-cycle fuel using premium, ethanol
free gasoline if it's available in your state. Ethanol means death to
small gasoline engines.

And I have been told by many repair shops to use Echo brand oil additive
for 2 stroke engines.