Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Bridgeport Mill Making Knocking Or Clicking Noise

wrote:

A friend of mine has a Bridgeport knee mill making a loud clicking or
knocking sound in the head. I could not find any obvious reason. So I
sorta just said sorry man I can't find anything. Well about 2 weeks later
Karma I guess, I have a large Jet knee mill 3 phase started doing the
exact same thing.So I am telling myself the same thing, (sorry man can't
find anything ). Has anybody got info as to a guess what it is ? I am not
a machinist just a hobbiest. Thanks for any input you might offer.

Is it a varispeed head (2J)? If so, it is likely to be the plastic bushing
on the varispeed cone pulleys. I think the one on the motor can tear up the
motor shaft, so you really want to get it fixed. The plastic piece is not
expensive, and it dosn't take a massive amount of dissasembly.

Jon