Velvet

Default Are room thermostats out of fashion?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:36:04 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

So, you think people sit there dripping with sweat, with the boiler
churning away, in teh summer? I don't think so.

You can't make the assumption in relation to the approved document.
And yes, I do expect people to have the heating on during the summer,
if they get too hot they open the window(s)...

Even the most stupid user can work out how to s3itch the boiler ON
and OFF.

My opinion of the great unwashed isn't that high.

Thank god the people who installed my boiler didn't expect it to be on
all the time, as this thread seems to be saying is a Good Thing.

My bathroom would be roasting from the heat given off by the boiler
being 'up to temp' constantly, from what I am gathering here. And
that'd be with the rad off completely.

As it is, the bathroom rad is on only a fraction (not even half a turn!)
solely to provide very low level heat to dry off my towel. The heating
of the room is provided by the boiler itself, and if that ran constantly
in winter, it'd be too hot, let alone if it was doing that in
spring/summer!!

I *could* turn the heating off in summer, but I don't. The reason why?
I have a programmable room stat. No TRV's, just the stat. In the
summer the stat never calls for heat. Because it's set on the low side,
I tend to notch it up a few degrees in winter per heating period, if I'm
in, then I know it'll reset to a lower temp once I'm not there. This
means it never fires in summer unless it's very unseasonable weather.

I *could* turn the boiler off in summer, but it supplies my HW. And it
uses the heating circuit to cool down after doing so, which gives the
system a gently waft through to stop the "I've just turned my heating on
and it's not working" problem.

I see no point in keeping a boiler 'up to temp' all year round, it's
lunacy. Unless it's exceptionally well insulated, it'll always leak
heat into the surroundings - and there will always be some degree of
heat travel away from the boiler in the metal pipework to the near
surroundings too.

Just doesn't make sense on either a personal comfort level, or on an
economical level either.

Velvet