Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Your car computer-hacker Controlled?

"In fact, since I'm one of those people who commit no crimes, I feel safer with them about. "

Remember the old saying - when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Nonetheless, I have no problems with cameras. Even though I am pretty much lawless I have respect for other people and would never rob anyone or anything like that. The only thing I do lately is smoke pot, and they do seem to be lax on that these days, though I heard this particular town likes to get tough on it. If you got cameras that can see into my garage then more power to ya, and you can house me and feed me for as long as you like because you ain't getting any money. Plus I have a ****load of maladies that need looked at by a doctor.

The cameras won't save you. There is a guy sitting there monitoring maybe fifty of them or whatever and he has to catch what is happening and then to stop a crime has to get Scotty to transport some cops to the scene, otherwise they are dispatched in a car from who know how far away.

But if you do get mugged or something at least there is a record and they might be more able to catch the perp and put him away. It is a two edged sword. You lose privacy, but really if you think about it, you are in public. When they go snooping around on people's property, that bothers me.

Cars also now have a "black box" that'll tell about what went on right before an accident. I am not really against that because if someone is driving like an asshole they need to be, well whatever. You can't do what we used to do in the 1970s, like go 100 MPH. (there is one place in Cleveland where you can get away with that, well a couple actually)

There was some talk of disabling cellphones if moving more than 20 MPH or something, but what of the passengers ? They say driving while talking on the phone is as bad as drunk driving. Many cities have laws against it now but they are hard to enforce. Plus none of these laws take into account the person driving. Some people can drink a fifth of vodka and drive just fine, I have known such people. Others can't drive after two beers, I have known such people.

One of the things I am against is electric power steering. I know electronics. I can envision a transistor shorting out and taking the wheel all the way right or left. It is a bad thing, give me the old hydraulic system. So now they got cars that can steer if you veer out of your lane, that is ridiculous.

They got new table saws now that will stop the blade immediately if it detects flesh, somehow. Now let's teach the kids on one of these and one day they have to work with a saw without this feature and cut their hands off.

Like cars, we had no airbags. When we hit something the steering wheel pounded into our chest, OUCH. That'll learnya. Next time look where you are going !

The removal of all consequences of one's actions is not a good thing. People will not learn by their mistakes. When I was young, a (very) few times I ran out of gas and had to walk miles to get some. I learned to put gas in the car. Now people just call AAA on their cellphone and a truck comes out with gas.

Two edged sword this technology.