Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bridgeport Mill Making Knocking Or Clicking Noise

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 21:51:06 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

A friend of mine has a Bridgeport knee mill making a loud clicking or knocking sound in the head. I could not find any obvious reason. So I sorta just said sorry man I can't find anything. Well about 2 weeks later Karma I guess, I have a large Jet knee mill 3 phase started doing the exact same thing.So I am telling myself the same thing, (sorry man can't find anything ). Has anybody got info as to a guess what it is ? I am not a machinist just a hobbiest. Thanks for any input you might offer.

First thing you do it take a metal bar or good solid screwdriver, hold
it in a stabbing grip with your thump over the end of the
handle..stick the bony thumb joint in your ear.. press the far end to
various points on the head....and listen for where the noise is the
loudest. It works as a decent enough stethescope.

Then switch to low range, and do the same.
Then engage or disengage the power feed.

When you have the results...repost the question here.

Gunner, Coyote Engineering
Machinery Repair Tech.

---