Posted to rec.woodworking

Default confessions of a small engine hitman

Electric Comet wrote in newsahqjv$fb3$1
@dont-email.me:

only have two gas powered tools and apparently i do not follow best
practices when i expect not to use them for 3 months or so

do you empty the gas out or just shut off the gas from the tank to the
carb

I think it's extremely dependent on where you live. My grandpa never
drained fuel, I never do, a buddy of mine doesn't, and the tools seem to
run fine after sitting for a few months.

In some cases, where the machine has been sitting longer I've had to
inject fuel directly into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and
try to get it to fire. Once it does, it usually starts pulling fuel
through the system and runs fine. Sometimes it takes a second squirt of
fuel.

In other areas, I've heard claims that when they let the machine sit for
a month the fuel's already gone bad.

Puckdropper