Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Connecting many low-power mains devices (wall warts etc) to single mains socket

"NY" wrote in message
I have a room that I use as a study. It has only one single mains socket
(the other is on the opposite side of the room and would require a long
trailing cable to reach the desk area).

I currently have a PC and LCD monitor, and wall-warts for various
low-power devices (router, phone, security camera, headphones etc) plugged
into a series of multi-way socket blocks (there is a 6-way with two 4-ways
plugged into it).

Obviously the overriding factor is that the total current does not exceed
13 A, and when I measured it, it was about 3A.

But is there any safety issue with lots of plugs, via multi-way socket
blocks, all going back to a single wall socket?

Nope, that’s how I do mine, but with much bigger socket blocks.
All of which plug into another one which plugs into the wall socket.

Is there any advantage in having the single socket changed for a dual one
and plugging half the appliances (via socket blocks) into one socket and
half into the other?

Nope.

Is a single socket block with 12 sockets in any way safer than a 6-way
with two 4-ways plugged into it?

Nope.

One thing you do find is that some socket blocks are better
than others with more space around the sockets for the bigger
wall warts. Not such a problem now with most of the wall warts
being switch mode and fitting fine even in the more socket blocks
which have more closely spaced sockets.