Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connecting many low-power mains devices (wall warts etc) to single mains socket

In article ,
NY wrote:
I have a room that I use as a study. It has only one single mains socket
(the other is on the opposite side of the room and would require a long
trailing cable to reach the desk area).

I currently have a PC and LCD monitor, and wall-warts for various
low-power devices (router, phone, security camera, headphones etc)
plugged into a series of multi-way socket blocks (there is a 6-way with
two 4-ways plugged into it).

Obviously the overriding factor is that the total current does not
exceed 13 A, and when I measured it, it was about 3A.

But is there any safety issue with lots of plugs, via multi-way socket
blocks, all going back to a single wall socket? Is there any advantage
in having the single socket changed for a dual one and plugging half
the appliances (via socket blocks) into one socket and half into the
other? Is a single socket block with 12 sockets in any way safer than a
6-way with two 4-ways plugged into it?

The safety issue is more likely to be tripping over that rat's nest. ;-)

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.