Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Oh No, the death of alt.home.repair or even Usenet!

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 21:27:35 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 19:20:29 -0400,
wrote:

I just checked my owners manual and apparently the usb socket
is indeed an audio input - it's beside the aux audio input jack -
that I never noticed ..
The manual warns to have the usb device removed
when starting the car - not sure how serious a risk it is
or just ass-covering.
John T.

Thanks for getting back to me. After my mini-high when I thought it
would work, I had a mini-low when a Kia-owner said it didn't.
So we both came out ahead on this one.

Now to load up a flash drive with MP3's and try it out.
I wonder if the radio will read a flash drive and provide some player
functionality ? or do I need a MP3 Player ?
John T.

Works fine on my daughter's Hyundai Elantra - and on the aftermarket
head I installed in my Ranger. You can NOT use "folders" though - all
MP#s have to be in the "root" of the drive!!!!

That's interesting. I had a $4 device that could use folders.

Most or all of these things have buttons to go back to the previous
track or to skip to the next track. With this little thing that
plugged into the cigarette lighter and transmitted to the radio a foot
away, when I turned off the car, it would restart at the start of the
current song.

That was fine for songs, but I would listen to 50 minute news shows,
like Talk of the Nation or Diane Rehm. So I'd have heard 30 minutes,
and when I turned the car off and on, it would start at the beginning
again.

So I dl'd some free file splitters and all would have worked but one
was especially good. It split files into segments of whatever length
one chose -- I chose 3 minutes, or the byte-equivalent -- and named
each segment in sequence complete with .mp3. When I played the
flash drive, it would go from one file to the next without a trace.
Not even a little click. And when I turned the car off, it woudl
start on average 90 seconds back.

I couldn't find my own so I ordered a new somewhat nicer one for about
$6. Ordered it too late so shipped to my vacation landlady.