Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default snow toys

wrote in message
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 8:18:43 PM UTC-4, Steve W. wrote:
Dan
But have not
bothered to try my snow plow. The slush is about three inches
deep,
but very heavy. The lawn tractor would not have enough traction
push it around.

Dan

Well some good came from all this. I shovelled the drive enough to be
able to get out to the road. And it has warmed up enough that the rest
is melting. But thought about next year and so checked a couple of Ag
tires that I had in the basement. I knew they were smaller than the
tires on the lawn tractor. They are tires I got at the local scrap
yard for next to nothing. In fact they might have cost nothing.
Tires are not some thing that the scrap yard wants.

But checked the John Deere booklet and the Ag tires are an optional
tire size. And checked the tire bolt spacing and the Ag tires will
bolt right on with no fuss. I do not think it would have helped with
this snow and sleet, but should be useful next year.

Dan

I tried turf and ag tires bare and with chains. Chains on ag tires had
noticeably the best traction and caused the most lawn damage and
erosion on uphill trails, I think because only the small sections of
the chains that crossed the tread ridges bore all the weight. The
worst condition for damage was snow after a brief thaw when a thin
layer of wet soil couldn't drain through the ice under it.
-jsw