Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Solar Powered Garage Door Opener.

On 2017-03-16, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

I also enjoyed watching them try to use the AMP PIDG crimpers
(22 ga and 16 ga) which I brought in from home. They could never
figure
out how to open them -- and I did it with the tool behind by back.
(Just a bit more force to reach the full compression point and
toggle to
release. :-)

My AMP 59824-1-L crimper (only $272 from Allied!) has a tab protruding
from the ratchet that allows manual release. It's an old model that
doesn't quite look like this. In fact it's so old that the green
plastic grip covers cracked and fell off.
http://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/7a66dd...0b0c2649ff.pdf

A bit newer than mine, which dated back until at least 1965,
which is when I first saw/used them at work.

I think that Tyco still has manual pages online for the older
ones made before they took over AMP. An example -- for blue/green
terminals is 47307. They had a totally enclosed ratchet so designed
that bypassing it would require a complete re-design. (And for mil-spec
projects at that time, if you could bypass the ratchet, you were using
an illegal tool. :-)

The thing used compound leverage, somewhat like the Starrett 5A
wire cutters, and had three hole pairs selected by pins to control the
crimp diameter of the insulation grip.

The one for 10 Ga wire (large Yellow) is called the "heavy-head
crimper", and *is* heavy. It also has the three insulation crimp holes
and the movable pin.

BTW -- while the one for 16-14 Ga is marked with a blue-dipped
handle and a green dipped one, I have never seen the green terminals.
Same for the Black part of the Yellow-Black mentioned in the downloaded
data sheet from Allied.

"Cumulative Trauma Disorders can result from the prolonged use of
manually powered hand tools."
You could claim a Trauma Disorder.

If I used them long enough. But I have pneumatic powered oones
which use the same crimp head -- and most of my crimping is in short
spurts.

Oh yes -- for the heavier ones (8 ga, 6 ga, 4 ga and 2 ga I have
one hydraulic crimper with interchangeable dies, and for the reset of
the heavier ones -- 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 and 4-0 a heavier hydraulic head with
its own set of dies. And I have three ways to power them:

A foot pump sold by AMP.
A hand pump by Enerpac.
and an electric pump sold by AMP.

The two AMP ones have a pressure limit valve or switch set to
about 8,500 PSI, while the Enerpac can go to 10,00 PSI, so I don't use
it normally -- if I can find the crimp terminals in the right sizes. :-)

Acquired from various sources over the decades.

I first saw the foot pump and the head with 4-0 dies being used
for power cables for a flight simulator built into a pair of 18-wheeler
trailers. Power input connector was a four-pin 4-0 connector for three
phase and a safety ground or neutral (not sure which).

I disabled the inaccessible ratchet in my Molex crimpers.

For the pins for the block connectors? I don't blame you. But
the one in the AMP crimpers is set just right. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail