Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ohger1s@gmail.com is offline

Default Your car computer-hacker Controlled?

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 7:53:56 PM UTC-4, wrote:
"I don't use the sat radio in my car, but lots of people do. If I spent more time in the car I would pay for the subscription. But I do LOVE the nav, particularly the built in variety. If car hacking comes to be reality, I'll disable the microwave antenna and put my old Garmin back in service. "

Far as I can glean, the radio is not the problem. It is the problem detector, like if you get in a wreck. They hack in through that and can control your brakes and acceleration but ONLY if you have traction control and a few other things. What I read is that it happened through an ONSTAR system.

snip

My wife's car has ABS, traction and stability control as well as built in nav and sat radio (unsubscribed), but any system control influence the car can possibly have from the outside world would be through the nav/sat link. Removing the microwave antenna will take the car off line, assuming it can be remotely addressed at all (Ford Edge). It has no On Star (which I believe is cellular based?).

I would almost recommend the Garmin instead but only if you want them to know where you are. If you have a mistress or whatever, or like to party with some people of less than pristine character (by "their" standards) you might want to shut even that thing off.

Not worried about that.. I have no problems with surveillance cameras out of doors or any public place for that matter. In fact, since I'm one of those people who commit no crimes, I feel safer with them about. As far as the Garmin leaving a bread crumb trail in it's memory, that doesn't bother me in the least (and even those can be erased).