Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bosch oscillating tool review

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 1:10:08 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Take heard in knowing that Fein was the only of its kind 20 years ago
and it was very expensive. It was not until Fein's patent expired about
10 years ago and they switched over to the toolless units that others
were able to compete.

It will be interesting to see who all comes out with Domino clones in 10
or so years.

But... the lesson I learned many, many years ago is that if a tool will make you money year after year, is reliable, versatile, and the consumables are affordable you should buy it. My only misfire is the oscillating tool, and as I said even at the Fein prices of 30 years ago I should have bit. I have been using my awful HF for about 10-12 years now and can't imagine a remodel without it.

The point being, if anyone needs that level of joinery, convenience and can put that bad boy to work (or if they just enjoy it!), they should buy a Domino now. I have soul searched every time you put one of your "assembled with Dominoes" projects up with the details of assembly to see if there was any way I could get close to using one enough to justify it. Screw waiting until a clone comes out.

And you never know; they have tried more than once to make a clone doweling machine like the Mafell. You would think at $1300-$1400 someone could come up with something. Nope. The Frued was a miserable attempt, and pulled off the market after a short time. Makita had one, only in production for a short time. Triton still makes one that is around $200, but talking to users and reading reviews you are better off with something else. At one time I really wanted a doweling machine because back in the 70s we were still using a fair amount of dowels in cabinet construction and some aspects of general wood working.

So if they can't perfect a doweling machine that essentially drills two holes at the same time by a series of gears, using a fairly immovable set of holders and gears, how could they replicate the Domino? I have seen exploded views of the machine working and it is truly a precision instrument.

I think the Domino won't see a viable competitor for years.

Still trying to worm one into my business...

Robert