Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nospam@thanks.com is offline

Default Any rules about providing a staircase to loft storage space?

On 16/03/2017 23:04, Capitol wrote:
wrote:
On 16/03/2017 19:37, Phil L wrote:
wrote:
I'm thinking of replacing a pull-down loft ladder with a proper
staircase and door. The loft would still only be used for storage, but
someone thought the presence of a staircase invoked a pile of Building
Regs requirements.
Can anyone clarify whether there are any rules around this?

If it's a habitable room, then there's a raft of regulations to comply
with,
fire doors, alarms etc.
If it's for storage, then i don't think any of these apply

It's just a very big boarded loft - roughly 70'x20'x10' - but, for the
foreseeable future, it's only going to be used for storage.

Perfect for train set!

:-)
I set-up a OO train set in my (much smaller) current loft when the kids
were young, but they were often a bit too spooked to be happy up there,
and the track was forever needing a clean. Perhaps we should have used
my ex-F-I-L's ancient train set, which I think had mains n the tracks!

This new loft is big enough to get a full-size loco in - it would only
need a *small* amount of reinforcing, and an extra chimney :eeek!