Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Any rules about providing a staircase to loft storage space?

On 16/03/2017 20:35, wrote:
On Thursday, 16 March 2017 19:12:04 UTC, wrote:
I'm thinking of replacing a pull-down loft ladder with a proper
staircase and door. The loft would still only be used for storage,
but someone thought the presence of a staircase invoked a pile of
Building Regs requirements. Can anyone clarify whether there are
any rules around this?

I think the staircase itself will have to comply with Building Regs,
but there are some relaxations for staircases only serving one room
(or perhaps a non-habitable room) eg the spacesaver alternating tread
staircases.

It would need 2m of headroom over at least the central part of the
treads. Alternate stair sets are ok for lofts in some cases.

If the loft is floored / walled / has any windows then adding a
staircase would I think be presumed to be using the loft as a
habitable room and the full requirements of loft conversion would
apply. If the loft isn't floored etc then it won't be a habitable
room.

Boarding and roof window would probably be ok. Having said that the
rules have changed since I did mine.

--
Cheers,

John.