Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Oh No, the death of alt.home.repair or even Usenet!

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:15:35 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:07:12 AM UTC-4, Pat wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 14:46:55 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Hi Art,

This was a really sad morning. I have been reading alt.home.repair and
a few other groups for many years and this morning signaled the end.
There was nothing but garbage.

I can relate. After years of reading usenet groups, all that seems to be
left are political and religious arguments and name calling.

I can't remember the last time there were more than one or two serious
discussions related to home repair in this group.

Several other groups I watch have been in similar decline.

It's sad, usenet was a convenient way to discuss a variety of topics
without having to visit individual web forums. It takes too much time and
hassle to visit and log in to each forum, so I tend not to visit most of
the ones that do interest me.

It was good while it lasted...

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

I think this has been mentioned before, but why can't we create an
alt.home.repair.moderated? All the moderators would need to do is
allow any post that is even remotely on topic. Those who post
political garbage or name calling would not be permitted. And my
favorite - those who post links to news stories without even
commenting (as though the rest of us are too stupid to watch the news)
would also be blocked.

Pat

I'd be in favor of it. Does anyone here have experience in how to
go about doing it?

Send an email to the folks that run Homeowners Hub. They know how to run a
moderated forum.

We either stop having this massive abuse with
one OT post after another or AHR is finished.