Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Solar Powered Garage Door Opener.

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 8:37:33 PM UTC-4, DoN. Nichols
wrote:

Yes -- most frightening thing is an engineer with a soldering
iron. :-)

Perhaps more frightening is the fact that one can get all the way
through a PhD in electrical engineering without ever touching a
soldering iron (or a wire or a breadboard).

They had me for all that dirty work. I made an effort to learn the
ways real components deviate from the ideality of their SPICE models,
like self resonance and dielectric absorption in caps and the many
ways op amps don't do quite what you expect of them. In sensitive
instruments or at microwave frequencies those things really matter.
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sboa128a/sboa128a.pdf
Around 1980 I recognized the scope trace of a long-unsolved op amp
offset error as human speech and traced it to an AM radio station 25
miles away. That was worth a promotion.
-jsw