Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ¬)[_4_] Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ¬)[_4_] is offline

Default Puller suitable for Suffolk Punch flywheel?

On 15/03/2017 15:59, MM wrote:

Thanks. So far I haven't found anyone who stocks appropriate steel
strip around Spalding. There's probably loads of the stuff lying
around in garages everywhere.

How thick was the steel plate on your apprenticeship course? What dia
for the centre bolt? M12 is about all I can find around here.

Something like 4 or 6mm I'd guess, just whatever off-cut was lying
around the workshop at the time.

As long as it's thick enough not to bend when you put pressure on the bolts.

I'll see if I can find it when I get into work later and take a picture.

Centre bolt doesn't matter as long as it's of a smaller diameter than
the end of the crank shaft so the flywheel won't catch it.

I guess you could possibly make the puller body out of a bit of wood and
washers on the bolts but in the fabrication w/shop scraps of steel were
everywhere and the "tool" was used many times a week. Wood /might/ be a
slightly "mushy" force rather than one you can feel and guage through
the spanner though.