Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default "its not easy being green" sonic glass crusher

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 23:15:37 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 22:25:33 UTC, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Friday, 10 March 2017 09:56:37 UTC, Robin wrote:
On 10/03/2017 07:46, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 May 2010 02:55:58 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
Anyone remember that cullet maker used on the show?

The series was on the box a few years ago. A family built an eco-home.
One of the do-dah's introduced was a machine that ground glass bottles
using acoustic shock.

I want to know how it worked. I can't find anything comprehensive
about it online.

What's the point of such a machine?

to make make pozzolan from glass to use in mortar/concrete instead of
mined/dredged sand.

I was thinking about making a kiln to melt some and make glass blocks with it. How much do you suppose a toy like that will disable me?

then why would you need to pulverise the glass?

Is this a troll?

The smaller the surface area the greater the reaction to the heat source.
When the first man melted the fist ore to produce a bloom he must have realised that all his banging it on an anvil will do is make it smaller as he knocked the crust to the floor, so he found some way to crush it to a finer gravel and mixed it with crushed charcoal and put it in a furnace and hit it with compressed air once he got it red hot.

(Just a wonder down memory lame for the sake of helping a neighbour in dire need of some physical educat-ion.)

Once you have accomplished the melting of the first few shards to droplets, the rest of the glass follows the flow.

Most pubs throw the empty bottles into the recycling bin and even the landfill one. I have always thought it a waste. It may as well be recycled to concrete as that. And even concrete made of glass is interesting -or could be..