Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What Shielded wire to use for RF Test Leads

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 07:33:45 -0700 (PDT), "Ron D."
wrote:

The generator probably has a 50 ohm output. If it's
an FM radio, the input is likely 75 ohms. So, you
do need a matching transformer.

Nope. Most of my test equipment is 50 ohms. However, I also work
with 75 ohm devices and antennas. Transformers do not have a very
flat frequency response. If I need a flat frequency response from DC
to many GHz, I use a minimum loss pad:
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/972
https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/dashboard.html?model=BMP-5075R%2B
https://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/BMP-5075R+.pdf
https://www.pasternack.com/matching-pads-category.aspx
http://www.comm-connect.com/8006.html
etc... Figure on 5.71dB loss. The technique also works for 50 to
300, 50 to 600 ohms, and other impedances.

It also depends where you want to put the adapters.

Yep. Coax adapters are fun:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/connector-loss/Adapter%20Colluge.jpg

Mo
http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/match.htm
https://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedias/l-pads#minloss

I have used some of the six hole ferrite beads to make transformers.
six turns, tapped at the fifth turn. The 1.2 turns ratio, squared is a
1.44:1 impedance ratio. These are the same beads used for CATV line taps
and broadband splitters.

They convert 75 ohms to 52 ohms. I put some into some old Blonder
Tongue inline attenuator housings with an F connect on the 75 ohm end
and a BNC connector on the 52 ohm end. (52.0833 Ohms) They were handy to
use a TV FSM as a 50 ohm RF millivoltmeter. Now, I have some precision
attenuators, and a Boonton 9200 RF Millivoltmeter ans different
feedthrough terminators..

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.