Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default snow toys

Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 2:19:39 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
I really should get some chains. If worst comes to worst, I can
shovel it by hand. Have done that before. It is only about 200
yards long.

Dan

This morning there is a lot of white stuff all over the place. But it
really is not snow. It is sleet. At first I thought the aluminum
grain scoop would be the bee's knees for shovelling. But the stuff is
too heavy, so I went back to the square shovel. And shovelled the
walkway from the front door to the garage doors. But have not
bothered to try my snow plow. The slush is about three inches deep,
but very heavy. The lawn tractor would not have enough traction to
push it around.

Dan
================

I had to put ag tires and home-made chains on my Sears garden tractor
to give it enough traction to move wet snow with the loader bucket.
They made quite a mess of the turf unless it was frozen before the
snow came.

I originally bought the tires to pull a trailer loaded with firewood
up hills. They weren't too bad when the lawn was dry and solid.
-jsw

I run turf with 2 link tire chains and a LOT of weight on my Cub Cadet.
Rear tires are 23 10.50 X 12 loaded with RV antifreeze in tubes, Then
100+ pounds of custom wheel weights on each side (Sears plastic shells
filled with buck shot and mortar mix) Add a 200 pound steel cab, and my
a$$ in the seat and I don't have much issue with traction going forward.

Have the same issue if the ground isn't frozen. Have to rake the
driveway back out of the lawn in the spring.... People think I'm crazy
because I toss the rotary broom on and use it (actually does a great job
sweeping and de-thatching).

--
Steve W.