Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's likely to be wrong with this car?

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
The idea that you can't charge the battery if you have the lights and
the heater blower on is a hangover from the days of dynamos. They had a
max output of, typically, 22A, and SFA on tick-over. A modern alternator
will produce 20A at tick-over and over 80A when the engine is running
normally. The alternator in my 20 year old motorhome will power a 24V
45A microwave and still charge the battery at 20A, power the headlights,
etc. (Yes, we use the micro when we're moving)

I've a feeling many car makers now set the idle speed rather higher than
it need be purely to provide enough output from the alternator.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.