Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default 1/2" BSP isn't half an inch?!

harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 13:03:46 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword
wrote:
On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 01:18:10 -0000, Roger Hayter
wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 20:10:11 -0000, Roger Hayter
wrote:
snip

The calipers said 14mm, reading the outer diameter of the thread
of what used to be in it.

BTW, your adapter is M to F increasing, is it? M to F reducing
is commoner and won't help you!

Yes, I selected the female and male sizes seperately from drop
down boxes.

Should all work then! Copious PTFE tape should work for the taper
one, the other may need tape, fibre washer *and* sealant if both
threads are parallel.

I know about PTFE tape, but there is something else I can do if the
male is 14mm and the female is 15mm?

Pipe threads are taper cut,
Sealant on the thread is squeezed out as the pipe is screed into the
fitting.

Larger pipes are cut with adjustable dies so whatever thread size
deemed appropiate can be cut.

Traditionally "Boss White" and hemp was used with water/steam.
And"Stag" with petrol/oil.

In a very past life I've used Boss White and hemp with water. The plumber
who trained me was very old school. He must now be very dead.
I've also, out of desperation used Stag on water joints. It worked but made
a right mess.