Stormin Mormon

Default Briggs & Stratton 5HP engine won't stay running

Time to drain all the old oil out and put new in. Use good quality oil. 5 HP
Briggs motors take 20 ounces for a full oil change, if my memory is working.

Oh, I got my sister's old generator a couple years ago. She said it would
only run for a couple seconds and quit, and so they went out and bought a
new one. I bought it home, added about four ounces of oil, and it runs
perfectly. Don't tell her.... please.... trying to preserve peace in the
family.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bruce" wrote in message
Interesting ... yes and it was low ... A little below the "Add" on the
dipstick. I added some and need to add more. I'll keep this in mind
and add some more to get it up to the correct level.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:26:52 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:
I have a lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton 5HP Quantum I/C engine

.. Each time I
pulled the cord and it would start immediately but quickly stall
(within a few seconds). [...]

Have you checked the oil level? Some engines have an automatic shutoff when
the oil level gets too low.