Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default What Shielded wire to use for RF Test Leads

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 09:19:52 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 00:45:43 -0500, wrote:

To make a shielded test lead for use on a RF device, such as a Signal
generator, Oscilloscope, or other, I have seen recommendations for TV
coax (RG59), CB/Ham antenna wire (RG58) and microphone cable. Which is
best?

(...)
So what is normally used?

I use RG-58c/u for 50 ohm test leads. The stranded center wire is
more flexible than the rather stiff RG-58a/u.

For 75 ohm RF, I use RG-6/u double shielded CATV cable with F
connectors on both ends. If I need to plug into test equipment, I
have female F to Male BNC adapater.

I've never heard of RG58 C/U. Where would someone buy a small amount of
it (Online)? Looking on Ebay, I see the A/U type. And that stuff is
mostly pre-made cables with either Pl-259 , or BNC connectors on it, OR
large rolls of the bulk wire. (25 ft is the shortest).
I could buy a 12ft with BNCs, and cut it in half to make two leads, but
that's the A/U type.

I'm thinking this is something that might need to be ordered from a
store that sells Ham Radio stuff, but do they sell small lengths and do
they ship it?