Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What Shielded wire to use for RF Test Leads

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 00:45:43 -0500, wrote:

To make a shielded test lead for use on a RF device, such as a Signal
generator, Oscilloscope, or other, I have seen recommendations for TV
coax (RG59), CB/Ham antenna wire (RG58) and microphone cable. Which is
best?

(...)
So what is normally used?

I use RG-58c/u for 50 ohm test leads. The stranded center wire is
more flexible than the rather stiff RG-58a/u.

For 75 ohm RF, I use RG-6/u double shielded CATV cable with F
connectors on both ends. If I need to plug into test equipment, I
have female F to Male BNC adapater.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558