Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Look165 Look165 is offline

Default What Shielded wire to use for RF Test Leads

For RF, the best is the cheapest !

A tube of aspirine for instance with a hole on the top for the lead.

I use this for my scope probe, it is perfect.

a écrit :
Looking on the web, I have found numerous suggestions and no definite
answer.

To make a shielded test lead for use on a RF device, such as a Signal
generator, Oscilloscope, or other, I have seen recommendations for TV
coax (RG59), CB/Ham antenna wire (RG58) and microphone cable. Which is
best?

I know that the TV cable is stiff, with that solid wire in the center,
so that would not be the ideal cable to use. It's been years since I
used the CB/Ham cable. I know that stuff is stoffer too, but maybe not
as bad. As far as handling and softness, I know the Mic cable is
probably the best, but I read that it's probably the least desireable
because of impedance issues.

So what is normally used?

BTW:
* I might be wrong on those RG numbers. I'm just going on my failing
memory.