Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default If Festool Made Drill Bits, I Got 'em!

On 3/13/17 2:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/13/2017 10:57 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/13/17 8:26 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/13/2017 3:45 AM, wrote:

Snip

I am surprised that the American public didn't think that if
they bought a DeLorean they could time travel. Likewise, a
Superman suit for Halloween that made them think they could
fly.

Other things that have changed with the times: "Lee Jeans -
can't bust 'em". That was throwing down the gauntlet. Of
course you can.

A watch that is "waterproof". How long is it waterproof? A
hundred years? Is it waterproof at 1000 feet underwater? Now
watches are "water resistant" since so many made it a point to
test limits of their watch. After all, they were covered by
warranty since the manufacturer said waterproof.

How many things used to be "unbreakable"? Combs, kitchen
utensils, some tools, etc. Now that is a label advertising
begging for internet testers to be able to make their mark on
YouTube.

I thought it was really stupid (and very sad) that Buck had to
tell people not to cut bolts with their hunting knife. Now it
would probably be considered only prudent by a competent legal
department.

Robert

Sooooo. It is not hard to imagine the disappointment, when I was
9, that my new PF Flyers did not enable me to jump over a fence
or the street. ;~)

Your examples and mine, when I was 9, probably disappointed a lot
of people with still under developed brains.

You have to wonder how many in California believe the cancer
warning label warnings on every thing sold or manufactured there?
I never did believe that my yard sprinkler would cause cancer or
my new shovel. I'm waiting to see the cancer warning label on
California Oranges or the "Welcome to California" sign as you
cross over from Arizona on I10. ;~)

And Mike, not poking fun at you, I bought those bits too. I do
recall the bits at the show looked a lot nicer than the ones that
I was handed. And while they do have an answer that the bits are
intended for hard steel vs soft steel, they were selling the bits
at a woodworking show not a metal working show. They darn well
knew that these bits would most likely be sold to home owners
that were not likely to drill into hardened steel or files. I'm
still not buying it. FWIW the bits that I got home with were Bad
Dog Tools, made in China.

As I stated in another reply, the jury is actually still out on
this one. I got caught up in all the controversy, hype, and all
that I forgot why I wanted these in the first place-- to drill
through porcelain and granite, because I was spending a small
fortune on tile bits and the drilling took too long.

My initial tests have been positive. I'm going to do a "simulated
install" scenario using the same bit to drill about 18-20 holes
through a porcelain tile which it not uncommon on a job installing
grab bars in one bathroom. I'll time the first hole, and the last
and see how they hold up.

I know that porcelain tiles are harder than ceramic. But that said,
porcelain is normally used of floors. Anyway I found that I could
easily drill through these ceramic bathroom bub tiles with a common
masonry bit IF I started a 1/8" pilot hole, which I started with a
carbide Dremel bit. Once I was through the outer/surface I cold
easily enlarge.

That's interesting and mirrors my recent experience with installing grab
bars.
I don't have the Dremel but I, too, was using a smaller bit to "go
through" then follwing up with the bigger, correct sized bit. The
process seemed to be faster than going all the way through with the
bigger bit.

It is not uncommon for me to go through 2-3 expensive store bought
bits to do this. Only the most expensive diamond "hole saw" bits
are worth their salt and even those take a LONG time to drill
through porcelain, because of all the surface area actually being
cut. (Think of the geometry of them.)

So back to my original intent for buying these... to have bits that
are good at cutting through extremely hard materials, which will be
replaced for free when dulled. That was my single motivation for
buying these.

I'll do the testing and go from there. Right now my gut tells me
I'll probably be getting a refund, but I'm trying to keep an open
mind.

I truly hope they work out for you.

You and me, both. :-)

--