Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default GSM based building alarm?

On 13/03/2017 11:00, T i m wrote:

... but then one of the reviews suggests it is fussy about the SIM
used ... ;-(

I have a Advant GSM auto dialler card in my alarm box and the
manufacturer gives this advice.

Quote:
Insert a SIM from any GSM network into the SIM card
holder. Please note the ‘3’ network is not a GSM
network (they offer only UMTS) – avoid 3 Mobile as only a
roaming connection will be available. Please note even though
networks such as O2/Orange/Vodafone offer 3G and 4G SIM cards
they also have 2G voice/SMS infrastructure and so all of
their SIMs are perfectly valid.
They also state that a PIN on the SIM card mustn't be used.

It may be beneficial to use a PAYG SIM where the credit doesn't run out,
say, after 30 days. I use a PAYG Giffgaff SIM with £10 credit in the
basic PAYG mode in my card which is programmed to send a periodic text
message to keep the card alive (the SIM must be used at least once every
3?? months).