Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default Whatever happened to those soft rubber test leads

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 15:34:43 +0800, Rheilly Phoull
wrote:

On 13/03/2017 9:40 AM, wrote:
Back in the 60's and 70s, test leads were coated with a nice soft
rubber, which was thick, had excellent flex, and felt good in the hands.
All test leads these days are a plastic material that is thinner and
does not have the flex or soft feel of those old rubber ones. These
modern ones are not much diferent than plain coated wire, used to wire
homes and electrical gear.

Dont they sell the rubber ones anymore, or are they only sold with high
end, costly equipment?

Theres a bit of "silicon" cable on ebay. I use it for test leads or
stuff that needs durable cables. It solders much better than the cheap
plastic stuff too.

I'll have to look for that. Sounds like what I want. If it feels like
silicon spark plug wires (but thinner), that is probably ideal.