Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default GSM based building alarm?

On 13/03/2017 11:04, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 05:41:15 +0000, RJH wrote:

On 12/03/2017 14:43, T i m wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone here had any personal experience of /
with any of the various GSM / Autodialer type alarms, the likes of
eBay is cluttered with these days please?

The usage would be some general indication (via text / auto voice
message) of activity into (door switch x 2) or within (IR) a remote
building (that has mains power) and possibly in 'silent' mode (no need
/ point annoying the neighbours for accidental / nuisance trips).

We wouldn't mind spending a couple of extra quid for something tried
and tested and sanctioned by the panel. ;-)

I've had one of these:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/smartthings/kit-f-str-kit-uk/

working for a few months. Seems reliable so far, although I switched off
the push texts as I don't arm the system as such. When I'm interested, I
check via an app on my smartphone.

That's an interesting alternative to what I was first considering Rob.
;-)

Does it have an alarm panel type function with a keypad or wireless
fob to give you some sort of entry / exit delay to any 'protected'
areas?

There is a proximity fob thing that I haven't activated yet. IIRC it
does 'things' - controls the heating, activates/deactivates alarms,
switches lights on/off and so on. But I'm so half-soaked I'd lose track
of what was going on.

No physical panel. I use a smartphone - and it connects very quickly
from anywhere, couple of seconds. There may be a web interface:

http://www.smarttiles.click

As an aside ... I was wondering if the Samsung 'Smarthings' kit would
interconnect with my Dometicz logger project?

There is a lot of forum activity around it all, as people connect and
customise. Which does surprise me, given Samsung's reputation for
locking things down, and the recent snooping scandal. I'd have thought
they'd be more Pi-inclined.

It's all a hoot - the sensors do temperature for example, and are small
enough to slot inside a door, say, so they're invisible and easy to fit.
I bought the Samsung kit and an Amazon Echo for £160 on some promotion
or other on Amazon. Altogether, though, for me at least, of little utility.

--
Cheers, Rob