Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Solar Powered Garage Door Opener.

wrote in message
On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 11:20:41 PM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

Since solar runs 12-48vdc battery systems and garage openers run at
120vac, it would have to be run on an inverter. I've never seen a
dedicated system for a garage door.

Garage door openers run on 120 vac because that is what is usually
available. But for a Solar powered garage door, it seems like
changing out the motor for a DC motor would be the only sensible thing
to do. Why have a battery system and then use an expensive inverter
to run an AC motor, when you can just use a DC motor.

Dan

I responded to the solar and battery part of his question without
challenging his assumptions.

Old AC garage door openers are free if you ask around. I have two of
them in the shed. Many new models have DC motors.
http://www.garagehowto.com/quiet-gar...or-opener.html
"Because DC motors require less energy, backup batteries can now be
used to open and close your garage door up to 20 times in a 24 hour
period."

-jsw