Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default How to insert blade in a Makita 4329 jigsaw?

On 13/03/2017 07:17, MM wrote:

I bought a new Makita jigsaw recently, but only now got around to
using it. It's an orbital jigsaw. The "scotch yoke"
plunger-with-roller (the bit that moves up and down) is sprung loaded.
This is probably to do with the orbital action, if invoked.

When you insert the jigsaw blade, ensuring the blade fits in the
roller groove, you can push against the edge of the blade (forward to
aft direction) and the yoke/roller assy moves against the spring.
Release the blade and it springs forward again, maintaining good
contact with the blade's rear edge.

Now, what is the correct way of putting in the blade? Should the blade
be just lightly resting against the roller (A)? Or should it be very
slightly tensioned against it (by the sprung-loaded mechanism) (B)?

Reason I ask is, if I insert it as in (A), the blade wanders to the
left like crazy, even when I use a fence. When I adopt (B), it
doesn't. It cuts a nice, straight line. I'm using genuine Makita B 10
saw blades.

With many of the Makita jigsaws they employ a quick change blade system
where you simply push a leaver to the side, insert the blade and let got
- it then snaps into the right place every time. Looking at the pictures
of yours, I am guessing this is not a tool free blade change?

The blade should be sprung against the restraint - such that as the
blade orbits / swings it remains in contact with the blade support at
all times.

--
Cheers,

John.