Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ohger1s@gmail.com is offline

Default Your car computer-hacker Controlled?

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 3:19:18 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 2:53:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 3:30:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Stupid mother****ers today, half of them SHOULD be dead.

Geeze Jeff, hanging around Phil lately? LOL.

But anyway, I'm not as old school as you but I don't trust computers in general. Years ago all voting machines were mechanical. They could NOT be hacked unless the laws of physics were broken. They lasted many decades with little maintenance and were 100% accurate. Any computer that can be accessed remotely can be hacked, and I can't but help wonder why politicians fought to sunset mechanical voting machines (and I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist by any stretch).

It comes down to money, but automakers could install a simple mechanical switch that would prevent the car's PCM from having any contact with the outside world unless it was activated. Of course, we could remove the microwave antenna from the car but then we would lose our NAV and Sat radio.

Actually Phil has been pretty nice lately. I don't know if they got him on meds or if he found a really good pot dealer.

One ting about voting machines, when it comes to federal elections I think the federal goverment should, and actually could require a paper trail. When it comes to governors n ****, mayors, not really because that would come under state and local rights, but when it comes to congress and the President, I believe that "in the public interest" they would, or should have the right to make that requirement.

However that could become quite the argument because in reality, this country is a union of fifty countries.

As far as removing the antenna from your car goes, who cares about the damn radio ? And you don't know where you are going ? When I was young and was stupid enough to run out of gas I would have to walk, perhaps for miles, to get to a gas station where I could borrow a gas can and get some gas. They made me leave my driver's license to give me the damn can. That did not happen alot because I had a good job and did not run out of gas much, but it did happen.

And there were no cellphones. I could have gotten a radiophone but their range is limited. When you drove fifty miles away the thing usually did not work. So I spent the money on food and beer. Couple times I spent a ton of money treating a bunch of people. That was better than having a radiophone.. (they could push the car lol)

Maybe some would call me a Luddite, but we really are heading to hell in a handbasket.

I don't use the sat radio in my car, but lots of people do. If I spent more time in the car I would pay for the subscription. But I do LOVE the nav, particularly the built in variety. If car hacking comes to be reality, I'll disable the microwave antenna and put my old Garmin back in service.