Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default GSM based building alarm?

On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 2:43:13 PM UTC, T i m wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone here had any personal experience of /
with any of the various GSM / Autodialer type alarms, the likes of
eBay is cluttered with these days please?

The usage would be some general indication (via text / auto voice
message) of activity into (door switch x 2) or within (IR) a remote
building (that has mains power) and possibly in 'silent' mode (no need
/ point annoying the neighbours for accidental / nuisance trips).

We wouldn't mind spending a couple of extra quid for something tried
and tested and sanctioned by the panel. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Have an ebay cheapy GSM alarm, currently on a GiffGaff sim, it`s fine, has an SMA connector and external GSM attenna, save mounting whole box in odd position.

Use it with the supplied wireless PIRs and a door switch, has couple of switched zones on if wanted to use it just as a dialler, also has a Open Collector switeched output if ever get round to using it for triggering additional floods via GSM.

has battery backup that seems to last about an hour and half but does text on mains power fail.

It was a lot cheaper than dedicated diallers or GSM modules from more Western retailers .

Think about where an alarm fits into your security priorities, floodlights are convenient for you and scroats , they ain`t a deterrent.

CCTV is other half of having an alert on your phone, believe me when the thing bleeps when your 100 miles away you want to know immediately what is happening, not when neighbour picks up phone.

Physical security is first line,big f**k off padlocks, padbars, reinforced hinges are things that make scroat with his lidl 18" boltcutters move on