Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Best way to strip long lengths of mains cable?

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 10:40:21 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Graeme wrote:

I have a fair quantity of mains cable, and would like to remove all the
insulation without damaging the cable itself, so fire is not an option.

The cable is ordinary grey sheathed T&E. Removing the earth is easy,
and splits the outer sheath at the same time. Removing the insulation
from the remaining black and red cables is a pain. Using a knife risks
nicking the cable and creating a weak point. Using strippers an inch at
a time takes forever, and the cable is around 70 feet so 140 feet to
strip.

Bright ideas?

If it is single strand cable like say 2.5mm TW&E, removing a short length
of insulation then clamping the conductor in a vice and pulling on the
insulation works over quite long lengths. But I doubt there is any method
of removing 70 ft in one go.

What about one of those simple wire strippers that have a blade
trapped in an adjustable jaw, held in a vice and then the cable drawn
though to pre-slice (to say 75% of the thickness of the insulation)
may make the task easier?

Cheers, T i m