Posted to rec.woodworking
Spalted Walt Spalted Walt is offline

Default If Festool Made Drill Bits, I Got 'em!

"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ros8cchrufpfgnoam5tsgb446usf0n8mkt@
4ax.com, says...

-MIKE- wrote:

On 3/11/17 1:52 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

On 3/10/2017 9:41 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Speaking of bad woodworking shows.... I stopped by the Nashville Home &
Remodeling Show this afternoon. It's not a woodworking show, per se,
but it was still pretty terrible.

There were a couple of saving grace booths, however. A door hardware
source that is right in my little town that can get special orders
overnight and they are starting to carry cabinet door hinges.

The second was a specialty bit and blade company right in Nashville that
makes really great cutting blades, drill bits, and router bits... router
bits that can be used on solid surface materials, aluminum, marble, etc.
This company also makes all-purpose drill bits from very, very hard
cutter head material that can bore through porcelain tiles right after
cutting through hardened tool metals. The guy took the same bit and
drilled through a grade 8 bolt, and metal file, a metal lathe cutting
head, then straight to concrete, ceramic and porcelain tiles.

I was very impressed and bought this pack of bits at the show price of
$100.
https://millnertools.com/collections...ose-drill-bits

Now, I know what you're thinking. "A hundred bucks for a 13 pack of
drill bits!!" Well, yeah, that's what I thought, too, until I added up
what I spent in bits last year just for putting up safety grab bars on
tiled bathroom walls. I probably spend on average, $17/ea for ceramic
bits and upwards of $30 for diamond bits and none of them lasted longer
than 2 jobs. I was just figuring the cost of the bit into the job. Now
I don't have to worry about having the right bits.

Best part about these bits.... LIFETIME, unconditional replacement
guarantee.
For 2 bucks shipping, they replace the bit, no questions asked.

Oh, and did I mention they're GREEN? :-)
I'll do a follow-up after I've put some of these bits through some hard
work.

There was a company about 8 years ago, I think BAD DOG drill bits.
Same thing. They were at the wood working shows. Doing the files, tiles,
etc.

Yes it was Bad Dog Tools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4QEZ6uAwlc

I wonder if they went under, because it's hard to find anything official
from them.
Website is down and someone on Amazon with their name is selling
left-overs of only two products.

Their web server could be down or they might be out of busniess. Hard
to say for sure.

This Joe Strong web site still works ;-)

note the single 'l'
http://milnertools.com/

Bad dog seems to be back up.

That said, before buying ask them to drill a
file that _you_ provide so you can be sure that
they actually perform on real files and not
file-like objects made of, say, cheese.

IF there was a magic drill material available that would handle abuse
like that, EVERY large bit manufacturer (Bosch, Milwaukee, Dewalt etc)
would rush to it immediately. Some trade show demos are like a carnival
hawker's magic show in that you aren't really seeing what it seems you
are seeing.