Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sister Ray Sister Ray is offline

Default Solar Powered Garage Door Opener.

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 13:44:45 -0600, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

I've been think about installing this in my garage which has no
electricity running to it. I've googled "Solar Powered Garage Door
Opener" and only found general talk, no one who's actually done it and
no company that makes one.

Has anyone here done this or have more info?

David

Never seen one. But there are AC versions with add-on battery backup.
You could do that yourself with a battery and inverter. Charge with
solar if you use the door enough to warrant that. Eliminate the
phantom load of the operator's safety circuitry by using an older
model, or bypassing the safety on a newer one. Assuming you don't mind
crushing children etc.

My door operators are just one small load I run off a whole-house
backup system, which is mostly an inverter-charger combined with a
pair of large AGM batteries. The wall-mounted operators have little
control panels that take a few minutes to re-charge/boot after any
short outage. No issues with the power supply, which is now
continuous, so no more re-booting. All of the shop lights and a couple
outlets are also powered by the inverter, which is a bonus you might
consider including as part of your door opener solution.