Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default What Is Your Star Rating Criteria For Making A Purchase?

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 1:50:04 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per DerbyDad03:
How do you use the 5 Star rating system to make a decision?

Do you have number, such as 80% 4? or above with 70% being 5?, or
something like that?

I missed the point of the OP first time around....

I look at the Amazon reviews a couple different ways.

First thing, I look for 4-5 stars average.

then I select the low reviews (1 and 2 stars) and read through some of
them - trying so spot some quality or basic design issue.

Then I select all reviews and look for situations where shills are
posting fake positive reviews - there's a certain feel to the
descriptive language that will make me conclude it's a fake review.
--
Pete Cresswell

I can't find it right now, but I read a detailed 1˜… review for a product
where the author included 4 bullet points labeled 1-4. It was a well written
review and clearly explained what the author didn't like.

Further down was another 1˜… review, written by a (supposedly) different
author and dated 2 years later. It was a detailed 1˜… review where the author
include 2 bullet points labeled 1-2. Those 2 bullet points were word for word
the same as bullet points 3 & 4 of the earlier review.

In addition, while not 100% word for word, the opening paragraphs in both
reviews were probably 85-90% word for word.

Either the later reviewer was too lazy to write his own review and just
use copy/paste from the earlier review or the first reviewer decided to
come back and slam the product again, 2 years later.

Then again, maybe the first reviewer forgot that he hated the product and
bought it again 2 years later. ;-)