Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........

In article ,
says...

Here we go with those initials "SMD" again. I keep seeing that in posts
on here and elsewhere. So I better ask...
What the heck does SMD mean?

SMD is surface mounted device. For resistors and capacitors they are
usually small and flat. They are usually silver colored on the ends.
That is there you solder them to the circuit board. The ICs will often
have what seems like very short leads. They lay flat on the circuit
board also.

Check out this youtube video as to what they are and ways to work with
them. For very much work it helps to have a good 10 to 20 power
stereo microscope.