Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default What Is Your Star Rating Criteria For Making A Purchase?

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 07:18:56 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

How do you use the 5 Star rating system to make a decision?

Do you have number, such as 80% 4? or above with 70% being 5?, or
something like that?

Obviously, we have to toss the irrelevant reviews like:

2? - I bought this for my daughter and she hates the color.
1? - This sink doesn't fit in the hole I have in my counter.

But in general, do you have a "system" or is it just gut feel after
reviewing the reviews?

Depends on the item. I canceled my subscription to Consumers Reports
many years ago because their car surveys were far from my reality.
They used circles instead of stars.
In general if the item is on Amazon I look for a 3 star minimum.
Having hundreds of reviews simplifies the winnowing process.
Occasionally, if there aren't enough reviews, I'll go as low as
2 1/2 stars. Did that with a washing machine and a motherboard, and
had no problems with either. But felt compelled to buy a replacement
warranty for the washer, which added a couple hundred to the price.