Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Plasterers Trowel corners modification?

On 11/03/2017 10:08, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I'm skimming my first ceiling but some places the trowel leaves marks
at the edges.

Its an old victorian ceiling that I undercovered with kingspan and
plasterboard and isnt perfectly straight in any dimension, so when i
use the trowel to smooth an area which dips in the ends of the trowel
dig in and make grooves.

Is a solution to file off the corners of the trowel? If so how should
I do this and to what shape? Any advice please ...

A worn trowel is better than a new one... working the edges on a brick
can help a bit. However in many cases, if you are getting lines, let it
go off a bit more an then have another go (with a bit of extra water
splashed on if needs be).

Marshalltown do a "permashape" trowel that is already "worn in" and the
right shape / springiness. Silly money, but a joy to use in comparison
to any other I have tried, and gets quite respectable results even in my
relatively unskilled plastering hands.

--
Cheers,

John.